An ounce of prevention. Immeasurable peace of mind with trusted Virginia Estate Planning lawyers.
What would happen to your family should you unexpectedly pass away or face a period of significant disability? It is in our nature to want to protect our loved ones from harm and distress and to protect what we have worked a lifetime to acquire. Estate Planning gives you the freedom to say that you have all of your personal affairs in order.
The Oast & Taylor team can guide you through the creation of a comprehensive estate plan, which includes making key decisions and preparing legal documents that will protect you, your assets, and your family should you pass away or experience a period of disability.
Estate Planning Basics
In the event you experience an illness that leaves you unable to make day-to-day decisions or manage your property and personal affairs, it is important to appoint someone to do so for you. Oast & Taylor can help you select the appropriate individual or individuals to serve in these roles. As professionals in the Elder Law field, we can also ensure that all of your wishes are documented and filed with the appropriate courts of law at the appropriate time.
General Durable Power of Attorney
Some of these key decisions include choosing an agent and successor agent with whom you feel confident appointing to serve under a General Durable Power of Attorney.
The agent you select will be responsible for making decisions on your behalf. They will be tasked with handling your financial and real property issues such as bill paying, investments, buying or selling your home, and purchasing or cashing in life insurance policies, in the event that you cannot do so for yourself.
Advance Medical Directive
As part of your estate plan with Oast & Taylor, we encourage you to execute an Advance Medical Directive. This legal document, generally in three parts, outlines:
- Appointment of an Agent and a Successor, to carry out the health care decisions stated in the Directive, and make medical decisions on your behalf, in the event that you cannot do so yourself.
- Health Care Instructions, which serve as a guideline of how your care is delivered in the event you are unaware of your surroundings and/or death is imminent.
- Organ Donation Preferences
Last Will and Testament and/or Revocable Living Trust
It is safe to say that none of us wants to dwell on the eventual reality of our passing, but it is important to realize that we have the opportunity to make that unfortunate event as stress- and pain-free as possible for our families. Through our comprehensive Estate Planning Services, you accomplish several important tasks:
- You determine the allocation and disposal of your assets.
- You establish and make known your final wishes, easing the burden of family members who wish to honor your memory.
- You can provide for the futures of loved ones, leaving a legacy for those most important to you.
Oast & Taylor will guide you through all of the details of preparing a comprehensive estate plan. We also serve as counsel to help you make some of these very important decisions. Here are just a few services with which we can help:
- Appointment of an Executor and/or Trustee to carry out your Will or Living Trust.
- Evaluation and consideration of estate, gift and income taxes, planning accordingly to minimize these expenses.
- Selection of a Successor Executor and/or Trustee, in the event that the original individual chosen is unable or chooses not to serve.
- Review of the titling of all assets.
- Establish and/or review beneficiary designations and transfer on death designations to ensure they fit your overall estate plan.
It is our commitment to our clients to efficiently and effectively help you create a comprehensive plan that will accomplish your goals today and for the future.
Do you have any questions? Click here to submit an online request and we will be happy to discuss your needs and concerns.